Yuri Urano is an electronic artist originating from and operating out of Osaka, Japan. As an interdisciplinary creative, her work flows and expands across mediums; unable to be confined to one form but consistently maintaining her future-facing vision. Urano’s output sits across recorded releases of electronics and vocal arrangements but also delves into collaborations in AV, installations plus experiments in augmented reality.
Her early musical works revolved around a curious strain of techno which is full of feeling, something that many can lose sight of as the sonic arms race for the most slamming kick drum rolls on. Untethered from the conventions of genre, her output has also bled into ambient arrangements more recently. Looking to exorcise the ghosts in the machine, all of her productions harbour an emotional intensity that is felt deeply in the listener; within their psyche, their bones & floating through air we breathe in the club.
Having been bubbling under the surface since 2014, Yuri came to prominence in 2018 with Autline EP which was signed to Chris Smith’s highly revered CPU Records label. Since then, she has created her own imprint and collaborated with all manner of musicians both in her home country and across borders (highlights of which can be seen below).
– Autline EP on CPU records, 2018
– Reed EP released on her own YL imprint, 2018
– INTERLUDE from TDME Grand Prix winner, 2018
– Soundscape creation for Kalkul’s “アラス山 >> 嵐山 (Arasu-yama >> Arashi-yama)” AR experience using “AURA” spatial audio program.
– Performed at Japan Connection Festival in Paris, 2022
– Performed at ‘Prada Extends Tokyo’, a world touring music event co-produced by Richie Hawtin and Prada, 2022
– Immersive film at SAT x MUTEK Série Satosphère 2023 program with Manami Sakamoto, 2023
– Soundscape creation for MATTER’S WHISPER Immersive Exhibition mixing Crafts and Digital Arts, 2023